This mediaeval church, rebuilt by Wren, spire added by Gibbs, was burnt out in a Luftwaffe raid on 10th May 1941.
The church was restored as the official church of the Royal Air Force.
It contains many RAF memorials and Rolls of Honour, including a plaque to the Helpers of the Royal Air Forces Escaping Society.
In particular the 207 Squadron badge, carved in stone (see right), is set in the floor, together with hundreds of other unit badges.
On 31st May 1992 HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother unveiled a statue outside the church to Sir Arthur Harris, C-in-C Bomber Command 1942-45, complementing that to Lord Dowding, C-in-C Fighter Command.
photo : Haslam
page last updated 23 Nov 17