207 SQUADRON ROYAL AIR FORCE HISTORY
Memorials and Memories
On July 1st 2001 the BBMF Lancaster kindly made four passes in salute over the original Spilsby Airfield memorial. On the dedication day the Lanc had to be at Elvington for duties up there. That original memorial suffered badly from weathering and was replaced by a new memorial dedicated in 2012. The original memorial obelisk shown above, which on the reverse commemorates the deaths in the April 1944 Bomb Dump Explosion, is now in the grounds of Monksthorpe Chapel and thus closer to the Bomb Dump site.
On June 9th 2012 the new memorial was dedicated.
Click image for another view of the Lancaster flying over the original memorial.